Save Buckley Street Public Rally, 21 May 2017
Fight for Rail-under Road Solution
Save Buckley Street invites you to the Public Rally.
The people of Moonee Valley must rally against the Government’s Road-Under Rail Solution. Buckley Street is the major artery of Essendon and it’s the street that connects us.
We cannot severe it with this Road-Under Rail solution. It will completely disconnect our beautiful municipality.
Residents, Schools, Businesses and Traders are furious at LXRA’s solution to build a Road-Under Rail solution for the Buckley Street Level Crossing. The people of Moonee Valley need to take to the streets and make noise that can be heard all the way to Spring Street. We need everyone to stand-up and let our voice be heard.
We need everyone to stand-up and let our voice be heard.
We want to say:
YES to Buckley Street Level Crossing Removal
YES to Rail-Under Road
NO to Road-Under Rail
The decision around level crossing removals must not be decided on economics alone. It must involve long-term thinking and planning, not just a cheaper, quick-fix solution. We demand that we are given a solution that is best for the future of the growing Essendon precinct and doesn’t destroy our community.
Who should attend?
All who oppose the Road-under Rail being imposed on our communities right across Melbourne are invited to participate. Please invite all family and friends. This will be a family-friendly event.
We need to make a lot of community noise.
We need to gather as much media support(social media as well) as possible.
We must put as much pressure on our local MP’s as possible. This electorate is only held by a margin of 3500 votes – Danny Pearson (MP), Essendon.
The Public Rally is the start of our focused and organised resistence to LXRA’s absurd option of Road-under Rail.
This Public Rally is our opportunity to come together as a Community and make our voices heard.
We encourage you to get involved and let the State Government know just how important this is to our community.
How do I show my support?
Please show your support by wearing something RED.
You are welcome to make your own signs or print off our official poster from the website.
Can’t attend the Public Rally?
There are other ways you can help:
Join our website newsletter
Join our Facebook page
Our Facebook page is a meeting point for all affected community members. We provide the latest up to date information on our Save Buckley Street campaign including news, events and links to media articles. It’s also a great place to have any questions you may have answered. You can view and join our Facebook page here.
Get Moonee Valley City Council’s Signage
If you’re a local, please show your support by displaying one of the Moonee Valley Council signs “Buckley Street Level Crossing – Fight for a better option: Rail-under Road” and tying to the front of your house or around your street’s trees. Signs are available from the City of Moonee Valley’s offices, located at 9 Kellaway Ave, Moonee Ponds.
Sign the Change.org online petition
We have also set up an official Save Buckley Street Petition on Change.org. Sign this and then send to your friends – this will make our voice louder and you will also get major announcement information alerts.
The change.org petition can be found here.
Sign the official Parliamentary petition
This is the most important thing you can do as it officially registers your objection to the Government’s Road-Under Rail solution. All Victorian citizens enrolled to vote are entitled to voice their concern by signing this petition.
Signed petitions can be dropped off at Beauty on Rose, 1 Rose Street, Essendon. The petition can be downloaded here.
Contact your local representatives
Your elected representatives look at how many of their constituents contact them when deciding to act on an issue. To email your concerns to your representatives, just copy and paste the below email addresses into your email CC field.
Victorian Cabinet Ministers
A list of all Victorian cabinet ministers can be found here.
State District and State Region Members of Parliament
- Click here and put in your address to find out who yours are.
- Then click here and enter their names to get their contact details.
Local Council Representatives
Please write to all councillors at your local council, but particularly your ward councillors who are your direct elected representative on council. You can find your local and ward here.
City of Moonee Valley councillors’ contact details can be found here.
Some concerns you might include:
- LXRA’s Road-Under Rail option was not part of a proper public consultation process. There hasn’t been an open and transparent consultation as was promised. More of a manipulation to LXRA’s preferred solution
- Our local councils, schools, businesses and residents are not advocating for LXRA’s preferred option
- Community expectation that level crossings would be removed using a Rail-Under-Road design. This is the design option used for all completed/currently being completed crossing removals to date
- Design of level crossing removals must not be decided on economics alone – must involve long-term thinking, not just a cheaper, quick-fix solution
- Consultation Process – LXRA Consultation – nothing more than Information Sessions and even then we received few answers
- Level crossings currently divide our community. The design of level crossing removal must bring the community together, not continue to divide community – a concrete monolith will divide, not unite
- Site for graffiti and associated ongoing costs of its removal
- Business impact: risk to the local traders of Rose Street, Buckley Street, Russell Streets and Essendon Junction
- Financial impact on property values – short and long term
- The Connectivity is very poor for pedestrian accessibility, connection of the community and the integration of nearby land uses. (Woodcock & Stone, 2016)
- Our Amenity for public spaces and activation for the community and recreational uses, both passive and active is also very poor. (Woodcock & Stone, 2016)